Cross of Christ Lutheran Church, a congregation of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, was organized on September 22, 1957 with 42 charter members.
The idea of starting a Lutheran Mission in the area north of the river was initiated by a joint endeavor of First Lutheran Church and the Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd. A canvas was taken of the Rivermont area, and it was decided to purchase a 7.5-acre tract of land at the corner of Hixson Pike and Meadow Lake Road for a future building site.
The congregation initially worshipped in the Rivermont Elementary School. In 1959, the congregation moved to its present site, dedicating a new sanctuary and education facility to the Glory of God on August 31, 1959. In 1974, a balcony and an additional 6,000 square feet were added to the complex to complete our present facility.
On June 16, 1957, Rev. Roland K. Lemke, a retired U. S. Army Chaplain, was commissioned as Missionary-at-Large for the purpose of establishing a new congregation. On January 6, 1958, Rev. Lemke was called as the first resident Pastor at Cross of Christ Lutheran Church. During his tenure, the congregation incorporated, signed the constitution of the Missouri Synod, built a new church, and established a kindergarten program.
Since its beginning, the congregation has been served by many fine ministers of the Gospel. The Pastors that have served at Cross of Christ are as follows:
Rev. Roland K. Lemke 1957-1959
Rev. Theodore W. Buehner 1960-1963
Rev. Arthur J. Constein 1963-1966
Rev. Paul J. Albers 1967-1979
Rev. Curtis D. Harper 1980-1986
Rev. Edwin E. Doepel, Jr. 1986-1993
Rev. Barry C. Hildebrandt 1994-present
Our congregation continues to grow and flourish. Over the years, our church has grown to more than 315 communicant and 400 baptized members. Future development of facilities, property, and programs are being planned.
There is a high spirit of mission among the members of Cross of Christ Lutheran Church and of service to the Church at large, having sent 10 men into the ministry since 1993. It is a church "on the move," excited about the future and the challenges that God will bring.
Cross of Christ is very active in reaching out with the Good News of Jesus Christ. Besides sponsoring an active ministry to the prison community of Chattanooga, counseling services, an early childhood program, and parochial elementary school opportunities as an affiliate congregation for the Lutheran School, the church also sponsors the broadcast of the Lutheran Hour radio program, food and service programs for the poor, elderly, and homeless, and an aggressive evangelism program of love and service.
We thank God for his many blessings and pray for His continued grace and mercy.